GREAT PLACE TO BE3 Cool, Unexpected Things I Did in my Internship’s First Two Weeks
- Voted on 2 investment decisions totaling over $200 million
- Learned basic and advanced negotiation techniques in a 2-day workshop given by a Harvard Business and Law School Professor
- Met 2-on-1 for an hour with the CEO of Youku, China’s YouTube
– Rachel Lurie ’18, Senior Analyst (intern summer 2017), major: Princeton School of Public and International Affairs
2 Cool, Unexpected Things I Learned during my Week-Long Fellowship
- I was part of the inaugural class of Princo’s new week-long fellowship program. When working during the fellowship, I did not expect the team dynamic to be as close, tight-knit, and welcoming as it was.
- The workplace was professional but it felt much more casual than I was expecting; it seemed like a small family!
– Keyshawn Felton ’23, Princo Fellow (summer 2020), major: Economics
5 Awesome Experiences in my First Year
- Participated in 21 investment decision meetings, one of which I co-led. Altogether, these meetings resulted in the commitment of over $1.5 billion.
- Learned about emerging crypto-enabled and blockchain technologies from experts in the crypto community and top venture capitalists.
- Spoke one-on-one with the CEO of Bonobos about his experience founding a company and securing venture funding.
- Engaged in a small group discussion with former Amex CEO Ken Chenault about developing a strong company culture and an impactful leadership style.
- Fed panda cubs in Chengdu, China.
– Mitchell Hammer ’17, Senior Analyst, Major: English
2 Unique Externship Experiences
For those who succeed in our Analyst program, we offer a 10 week externship at one of our investment managers or portfolio companies. Click to see some examples of these experiences.
After hearing our venture capital managers talk about their investments, I wanted to experience a startup firsthand. Princo quickly connected me to one of the companies in our portfolio, and I spent two months as an extern on the strategy team at Catalant, a Boston-based startup disrupting the consulting industry. My externship was an amazing chance to experience a completely different environment and get a deeper understanding of what goes on at the senior management level of a rapidly growing company.
-Jacqueline Lis ’15
While I spend most of my time at Princo working in the Private Equity portfolio, I sought out a very different experience for my externship. I spent a month at a San Francisco based hedge fund in its public equity long/short group. It was an excellent opportunity to build investment acumen from a different perspective while deepening my understanding of business fundamentals. My externship was also a great way to see how another organization works and expand my professional network.
-John McNamara ’14
GREAT PLACE TO BE FROMJustin Reed, '05, Managing Director, Deputy Chief Investment Officer at Brown Brothers Harriman
- I joined Princo as an intern during my time at Harvard Business School and the Kennedy School of Government, and subsequently took a full-time position after graduating in 2011.
- My goal when I started this position was to learn as much as I could from one of the best investment organizations in the world so that I would be able to use this knowledge one day to help individuals better invest. However, I received so much more than that. Not only did I receive a crash course in the art and science of investing from one of the true thought leaders in this field, but I also learned new ways to think about the world and I made lifelong friends. On top of all of this, I had a great time and truly enjoyed going to work each day.
- My Princo experience was absolutely essential to my development as an investment professional and informs much of my thinking to this day. If you are looking to work for an institution that values rigorous thinking and thoughtful deliberation on behalf of the best University in the world, Princo should be at the top of your list.
Major: Public and International Affairs, Former Princo Senior Associate (2011-2016)
Elizabeth Banes '16, Analyst at Ithaka S+R
- Like many recent college graduates, I graduated from Princeton not knowing what I wanted to do. Princo offered an opportunity to expand my quantitative skills, build upon the qualitative, analytical thinking I developed as a humanities major, and gain exposure to a wide range of industries, people, and experiences. Princo delivered on all three, and I’m incredibly grateful for my time at the endowment.
- Through my time at Princo, I became increasingly interested in higher education and its role as an engine of innovation and upward social mobility. In 2019, I left Princo to join Ithaka S+R, a research and strategic advisory service for institutions of higher education.
- In my short time at Ithaka, I have experienced the incredible value of having a sound understanding of finance, financial markets, and economic incentives in non-profit and public sector work. Princo provides an unparalleled opportunity to learn about finance and investment in a mission-driven environment, something that will serve you well no matter where you end up.
Major: History, Former Princo Senior Analyst (2016-2019)
Eric Glickman, Director at Monetate
- Princo is a place that conducts high quality, rigorous analysis. I learned how to take disparate data and parlay it into actionable, intelligent insights. I routinely draw on this underlying skill today.
- Right from my first week, Princo gave me exposure to high profile investment firms and companies. I quickly gained the confidence and ability to walk into a room and effectively engage with leading executives.
- Princo has an incredibly supportive culture and strong mentorship. Andy (Princo’s President) continues to be exceptionally helpful to me. I know when I need career advice I can pick up the phone and call him.
Swarthmore ’10, Major: Asian Studies, Former Princo Senior Analyst (2010-2013)
John McNamara '14, Senior Associate at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- I joined Princo not knowing what I wanted to do longer-term for my career, but I hoped that Princo’s broad exposure to different investment strategies and businesses would help me learn more about what interested me. Over time, I became increasingly convinced that Princo’s line of work was what I liked the best. Helping manage Princeton’s far-reaching portfolio through a network of external managers was a fascinating challenge. Along the way, I had the opportunity to learn from some of the best investors in the world.
- While Princo was a great place to be, I moved to the West Coast for an exciting new opportunity (and, importantly, to be in the same place as my wife). I left Princo to join the newly forming investment team at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, led by my former Princo colleague, David Lee. Princo set me up well for this role, through both the world-class investment training I received and the broader professional skills I developed such as networking, management, and decision-making.
Major: Economics, Former Princo Associate (2014-2019)
Peter Iskaros '13, Junior Analyst at Rivulet Capital
- A job at Princo offers an exceptional vantage point—one that defies the traditional tradeoff between quality and quantity, marrying the two instead. Princeton partners with over 75 investment managers in many different asset categories and around the world, and we meet with hundreds more—quantity. Princeton’s managers are among the absolute best in their respective areas and constantly getting better—quality. This combination leads to the best investment education around. I’m really not sure where else you can (properly) learn so much, so fast, about so many different areas. It’s honestly kind of addicting, a drug for the curious mind.
- Over five years at Princo, I met hundreds of investment firms and got a great sense of the broader finance landscape. My Princo work led me to develop a real passion for front-line public market investing. Princo allowed me to test out my interest through an externship with one of our managers. This experience proved invaluable and cemented my wishes to go down this career path. With Princo’s support, I got an offer from a long-short hedge fund that was by far my first choice for my next job.
Major: MAE, Former Princo Associate (2013-2018)
Isabelle Gaffney'11, Budget Manager at Metropolitan Opera
- From day one, Princo gives you a seat at the table in important investment decisions. You are expected to state your opinion and defend your conviction. Princo gave me a chance to develop my skills as a leader much earlier than at other organizations.
- When I later joined Goldman Sachs, having worked at Princo was a huge positive. I was able to hit the ground running given the analytical toolkit and wide range of other skills I developed at Princo.
- Princo fosters a real appreciation for the non-profit space at large and allows you to marry work with a greater goal and purpose, which is incredibly rewarding.
Major: Linguistics, Former Princo Senior Analyst (2011-2014)