GREAT PLACE TO BE3 Cool, Unexpected Things I Did in my Internship’s First Two Weeks
- Voted on 2 investment decisions totaling over $200 million
- Learned basic and advanced negotiation techniques in a 2-day workshop given by a Harvard Business and Law School Professor
- Met 2-on-1 for an hour with the CEO of Youku, China’s YouTube
– Rachel Lurie ’18, Analyst (intern summer 2017), major: Woodrow Wilson School
5 Awesome Experiences in my First Year
- Participated in 21 investment decision meetings, one of which I co-led. Altogether, these meetings resulted in the commitment of over $1.5 billion.
- Learned about emerging crypto-enabled and blockchain technologies from experts in the crypto community and top venture capitalists.
- Spoke one-on-one with the CEO of Bonobos about his experience founding a company and securing venture funding.
- Engaged in a small group discussion with former Amex CEO Ken Chenault about developing a strong company culture and an impactful leadership style.
- Fed panda cubs in Chengdu, China.
– Mitchell Hammer ’17, Analyst, Major: English
2 Unique Externship Experiences
For those who succeed in our Analyst program, we offer a 10 week externship at one of our investment managers or portfolio companies. Click to see some examples of these experiences.
-Jacqueline Lis ’15
While I spend most of my time at PRINCO working in the Private Equity portfolio, I sought out a very different experience for my externship. I spent a month at a San Francisco based hedge fund in its public equity long/short group. It was an excellent opportunity to build investment acumen from a different perspective while deepening my understanding of business fundamentals. My externship was also a great way to see how another organization works and expand my professional network.
-John McNamara ’14
GREAT PLACE TO BE FROMPeter Iskaros '13, Junior Analyst at Rivulet Capital
- A job at Princo offers an exceptional vantage point—one that defies the traditional tradeoff between quality and quantity, marrying the two instead. Princeton partners with over 75 investment managers in many different asset categories and around the world, and we meet with hundreds more—quantity. Princeton’s managers are among the absolute best in their respective areas and constantly getting better—quality. This combination leads to the best investment education around. I’m really not sure where else you can (properly) learn so much, so fast, about so many different areas. It’s honestly kind of addicting, a drug for the curious mind.
- Over five years at Princo, I met hundreds of investment firms and got a great sense of the broader finance landscape. My Princo work led me to develop a real passion for front-line public market investing. Princo allowed me to test out my interest through an externship with one of our managers. This experience proved invaluable and cemented my wishes to go down this career path. With Princo’s support, I got an offer from a long-short hedge fund that was by far my first choice for my next job.
Major: MAE, Former Princo Associate (2013-2018)
Isabelle Gaffney '11, Budget Manager at Metropolitan Opera
- From day one, Princo gives you a seat at the table in important investment decisions. You are expected to state your opinion and defend your conviction. Princo gave me a chance to develop my skills as a leader much earlier than at other organizations.
- When I later joined Goldman Sachs, having worked at Princo was a huge positive. I was able to hit the ground running given the analytical toolkit and wide range of other skills I developed at Princo.
- Princo fosters a real appreciation for the non-profit space at large and allows you to marry work with a greater goal and purpose, which is incredibly rewarding.
Major: Linguistics, Former Princo Senior Analyst (2011-2014)
Eric Glickman, Swarthmore '10, Strategy Consultant at Monetate
- Princo is a place that conducts high quality, rigorous analysis. I learned how to take disparate data and parlay it into actionable, intelligent insights. I routinely draw on this underlying skill today.
- Right from my first week, Princo gave me exposure to high profile investment firms and companies. I quickly gained the confidence and ability to walk into a room and effectively engage with leading executives.
- Princo has an incredibly supportive culture and strong mentorship. Andy (Princo’s President) continues to be exceptionally helpful to me. I know when I need career advice I can pick up the phone and call him.
Major: Asian Studies, Former Princo Senior Analyst (2010-2013)